Nebraska Real Estate Investment Solutions, Inc.

Search More

Our Blog

Are You Covered??

Posted on October 7, 2015 by Kimberly Bell in Uncategorized

Did you know that the items in your rented home aren’t covered unless you have your very own renter’s insurance??   In your written lease through Nebraska RIS, as well as many other legal leases you will find a section under Subrogation.  In the Nebraska RIS lease, section 14, Subrogation reads as follows:

All property of every kind and nature belonging to the Resident or invitees of the Resident which may be in or about the residential unit shall be at the risk and responsibility of the Resident and the Agent and Owner shall not be liable for damage thereto or theft, misappropriation, or loss thereof.  The resident releases all claims against the Agent and Owner for injuries or damages to person or property sustained by the resident or any other person in or about the residential unity which may arise, directly or indirectly by reason of any existing of future condition in and about the residential unit or by an reason of the operation or malfunction of any equipment in or about the residential unit, unless said injuries or damage shall be caused by inactive or actionable negligence of the agent.

Matt Reiling, Insurance agent from Farm Buearu insurance provided us the following information about renter’s insurance:

To contact Matt for insurance questions, call 402-421-4741 or email at matt.reiling@fbfs.com

If you live in a rented home – including a duplex, mobile home, townhouse, condominium, apartment or seasonal-use

dwelling – it’s important that you protect your personal property from the unexpected, especially since your landlord’s

insurance likely will not cover your personal property. If your items were stolen or destroyed, would you have the funds

to replace them?


For each type of property you rent from others (i.e., dwelling, garage, outbuildings and other structures), you need

specific property insurance to protect your personal items.

Actual Cash Value Coverage – Your covered household personal property may be repaired or replaced

with like kind and quality, less depreciation and physical deterioration.

Replacement Cost Coverage – Your covered household personal property may be repaired or replaced

with like kind and quality.


Household Personal Property

Renter’s insurance is affordable. In many cases, for about $100 a year, you can protect your furniture, clothes and other

personal belongings (excluding animals) in your rented home from loss by fire, explosion, smoke, theft or other covered

losses. Your items in a rented garage or outbuilding are also insured as personal property, including golf clubs, bicycles

and athletic equipment.

If you live in a rented home located on property that you actively farm or ranch, you may also purchase farm/ranch

personal property coverage to insure the items used in your farming or ranching operation.

In addition, your renter’s policy includes coverage for the following:

  • Tenant’s Improvements you make to your rented property, such as installing a ceiling fan or new carpet.
  • Property Loss Assessment charges made against you by a corporation or association of property owners.
  • Forgery and Counterfeiting up to $1,000 for losses from the forgery or counterfeiting of any check or

negotiable instrument or acceptance in good faith of counterfeit paper currency.

  • Additional Living Expenses for a period up to 12 months if the rented home where you reside cannot be lived

in because of a covered loss, such as fire.


Optional Coverages

You may purchase additional coverage to meet your specific needs:

  • Contents of Freezer or Refrigerator – This provides coverage up to the stated limits for your contents located

in a freezer or refrigerator if the damage or spoilage is caused by a power outage or mechanical breakdown of

the refrigeration system.

  • Water Back Up of Sewers or Drains – This provides coverage for household personal property up to your

policy limit if the damage is caused by water backup of sewers or drains.

  • Earthquake – This provides coverage for damage to personal property caused by an earthquake. (Scheduled

personal property excluded.)

  • Identity Theft and Valuable Services – This coverage protects you from loss due to the unlawful use of your

identification and certain reasonable expenses that result.



If you run an incidental business out of the rented home you live in, you can insure your business-related items, such as

computers, lawn mowers, inventory items (i.e., Avon, Longaberger), etc.


Liability & Umbrella Coverage

With renter’s insurance, it’s wise to have liability insurance, which helps protect you against lawsuits or claims for bodily

injury or property damage resulting from your property or personal activities for which you are legally responsible.

You may also purchase umbrella coverage, which provides additional liability protection for lawsuits or claims brought

against you for which you’re legally responsible.


One Deductible

If you have Farm Bureau Member’s Choice renter’s insurance and also insure your vehicle under this coverage, you can

take advantage of only one deductible per occurrence or accident, no matter how many covered possessions are involved.

For example, if the personal property in your rented home and the vehicle in your rented garage are damaged in the same

event, such as a fire or tornado, you will pay only one deductible – not multiple deductibles.


What’s the Market Value of Your Belongings?

Living Room/Family Room



DVD Player


Stereo System

Video Game System/








DVD Player












Refrigerator Contents



Golf Clubs


Athletic Equipment

(i.e., baseball gloves,

skates, basketballs)



Leave A Comment